Saturday, September 25, 2010

American Patriot/Hero of the Week

This Tuesday past, I was honored to receive an invitation from my friend, and coworker, to attend the Mobilization Ceremony of the Oregon National Guards 3-116 CAB (CAV). Despite my knee injury, I drug my sorry rear the fifty-some-odd miles down the road to see my friend off as he leaves to defend our great nation and bring freedom to the Iraqis. There are many in this local battalion of heroes, some I have met, and one other I work with (Jeff). I told myself that they would have to screw me into a coffin before I missed the ceremony, and a little pain was worth it. This week I honor all the brave men and women of 3-116 CAB (CAV), but I single out my good friend Tyson Cross, who did me this great honor, as a model of the average American Soldier who has gone off to war. Tyson is a young man who works hard, well as hard as any of us do. He is helpful, truthful, a good friend and a good uncle to his sister's children. He understands the sacrifice that must be made if freedom is to florish in this festering, benighted world. Whether he has the words of not, he knows bone deep, "The noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body between his loved home and the war's desolation." I ask you all to say a prayer for the safe return of every member of the 3-116 CAB (CAV). Below are some pictures that Tyson's wife, Jennifer, has sent me to include in this post.






I know he reads my blog, and so I offer him this personal message, do your duty to the best of your ability, be safe, take care of your buddies, your equipment and your feet and they will take care of you. When you get back the first beer is on me.

3 comments:

Right Wing Extreme said...

Bertina,
I will certainly review your blog and if appropriate, add your site to my "Other Sites of Interest" section. Thank you for reading.

christian soldier said...

Give my best to your friend -Tyson-when you next communicate w/ him --
My nephew is on his way over- for his third tour...
Great site-my fellow Patirot!
Carol-CS

Right Wing Extreme said...

Carol,
I will pass on your well wishes to Tyson's wife, we also work together, and your nephew also has my prayers. If you would like I can do a post for your nephew. You can either write it yourself and send along pics and whatnot, or you can just send information and pics and I will write it. It is easier if you write the bio as I, obviously, do not know your nephew. I will also include a link back to your site. If you are interested, you can send to rightwingextreme@hotmail.com.